Producing at FRIGID
“For those wanting to mount a short run late at night for a small out-of-pocket expense, Horse Trade may be your best bet”– BackStage
Since our founding in 1998, FRIGID New York’s mission has been to provide both emerging and established artists the opportunity to create and produce original work without limit to content, form, or style, and to amplify their diverse voices. In order to fulfill that mission, we need artists like you! We are always excited to work with new creators and can’t wait to here about your next project.
Our venues are available year-round. In addition to traditional in person performances, we are now equipped to live stream from both our space, giving you access to a world-wide audience. Because New York City’s venues vary widely, we highly recommend that you make an appointment to view the venue you’re interested in, to make sure it’s right for your project. You can make an appointment to view either space by contacting us here.
Quick Link to book viewings, rehearsals, and performances.
Book a Performance
There are two ways to book a show with us, space rentals and coproductions, rentals and coproductions.
The simplest is as a rental. Our rentals are relatively affordable and afford you the freedom to do your thing when and how you want to do it. In this case, we don’t need anything from you but money and your commitment to do your show. And you don’t need any more approval from us than dates and times. As a bonus, if your show does well at the box office you can make more money as a rental.
**All rentals must use our in-house technician and COVID safety officer for audience-attended performances.**
• The spaces are available to view most days. Viewings will be scheduled around rehearsals and other bookings. Contact us here for availability.
• Either after seeing the venue or now if you are already familiar with our venues, fill out this form to place a rental request.
• Our booking manager will be in contact with you about setting up a time to sign a contract.
• One third of the space fee is due at contract signing. The rest of the space fee and incidentals (including fireguard, projector rental, rehearsals, etc.) may be paid on a payment plan, all due before your first performance. More information on our rates in available at the bottom of this page.
• We accept checks, cash, credit cards, and money orders.
Coproductions are performances produced in collaboration with FRIGID New York. These performances are selected based on our artistic interest in your project, and ticket sales are split between the producer and FRIGID New York, with varying splits based on the type of show (details below).
We have a few more requirements for coproductions:
- If we find your application interesting and/or viable we will email you back and request more information or a meeting.
- There is no application fee associated with this coproduction request and accordingly we are not committing to providing a response to your application.
- If you don’t hear back from us about a coproduction, we welcome you to come in as a rental. Many of our coproductions are with companies we originally met as renters.
- Our coproductions fall into three main categories: theatrical run, monthly, one-off, and festivals. Please start this process by filling out the appropriate form. If in doubt then fill out the Theatrical Run application.
**Coproductions must use our in-house technician and COVID safety officer for audience-attended performances.**
|House keeps first $225 @ USM and first $300 at Kraine per performance, then a 50/50 split after that.||House keeps first 10 tickets (or first $150, if tickets are less than $15) per performance, then a 50/50 split after that.||House keeps first $200 at USM and first $250 at Kraine, then a 50/50 split after that.||Each festival will have its own particular arrangement, ranging from a portion of the door to all of the door.|
- We rent on a first come, first serve basis.
- There are no refunds and no date changes once a venue is contracted for a performance.
- We require general liability insurance for any performance.
- Use of FRIGID personnel – Technicians, COVID Safety Officers, and Box Office Attendants – is mandatory.
- All sets must be struck and stored nightly; a limited amount of storage space is made available to each show.
- Projectors and screens are available in each space; for a fee of $50 per performance.
- Use of the light and sound boards are included in rental fees; also included is a standard rep plot with four refocusable lights in each space.
- All producers – renters and coproductions alike – must adhere to our COVID safety guidelines, which will be issued clearly alongside all contracts. COVID safety guidelines are subject to change based on NYC’s changing case rates.
Book a Rehearsal
- You can call 212-777-6088 or email email@example.com to check availability and request rehearsal times. Due to reduced hours, we are currently more reachable via email than by phone.
- We rent on a first come, first serve basis.
- We require 24 hours notice of cancellation.
- Rehearsals scheduled for evening hours (after 6pm) or weekend hours (Sa, Su) are subject to removal for a performance. These rehearsals are scheduled during performance slots, and performances are given priority. Rehearsals scheduled during daytime and week day hours (M-F 10am-6pm) are recommended.
- A tech rehearsal means that the breakers for the light board have been turned on, whether the stage lights are used for the entire rehearsal or not.
- The first 6 hours of tech rehearsals will be charged at the regular rate (evening/weekend or weekday, whichever applies), with a contract.
- All rates are available online. As we keep our prices as low as possible, we offer only one discount: LIT members receive a 10% discount on rehearsal space.
- In general, one night events are only available Sunday – Wednesday. Weekend 7pm and 8pm shows are mainly rented in a three-day block.
- Your company is required to purchase general liability insurance. Many folks use CimaWorld.com
- All sets must be struck and put away nightly; a limited amount of storage space will be made available to each show. There is a repertory (mostly unalterable) plot in each venue. Each venue has four Re-Focusable lights.
- We require 24 hours notice of cancellation on rehearsal bookings.
- There are no refunds or exchanges on contracted performance time.
- Our office is running on reduced hours due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Call 212-777-6088 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability. We are currently more reachable via email than by phone.
The Kraine Theater
85 East 4th St
Between 2nd & 3rd Ave (Bowery)
First floor, no wheelchair access
99 Seat Capacity – Currently 50 Seats with Social Distancing
UNDER St. Marks
94 St. Marks Place
Between 1st Ave and Ave A
Basement theater, no wheelchair access
45 Seat Capacity – Currently 23 Seats with Social Distancing
|Performance Rates/per performance||Performance Rates include a tech person||Kraine||USM|
|Off Peak||Mon-Wed 7pm and Fri/Sat 1030 and Matines||540||360|
|Off Off Peak||Mon-Wed 9pm and Fri/Sat Midnight||360||240|
|Tech Package||Minimum one per performance 6 hours with tech person||450||450|
|REHEARSAL RATES (per hour)|
|Reparations Rate||Available to Black and Indigenous artists.||25||15|
|FILM RATES (per hour)|
|Non Profit Rate||150/hr||150/hr|
|Hardship Rate||Reach out at email@example.com|
|full 1080P recording||100||100|
|Multi camera recording||150||150|
|Technician||Included in performance rate and Tech Package, but also availalbe for rehearsals and shoots||30/hr||30/hr|
Reach out about nonprofit, hardship, and reparations rates to firstname.lastname@example.org.